Friday, January 14, 2011

Back on Track

I am reporting all times in Korean/Thailand time zone which is 14 hours ahead of our EST.

It is 3:30 a.m. and I am wide awake.

We were able to get plane tickets from Seoul to Bangkok and then Bangkok to Chiang Mai.  Seoul to Bangkok departure is at 5:25 p.m. arriving in Bangkok at 9:00 p.m.  Then 5:00 a.m. from Bangkok to Chiang Mai  (Thai Airways) arriving at 7:00 a.m.  So we will have all day Sunday to enjoy the hotel, Night Bazaar and art galleries before going to the sanctuary in the morning.

Because the flight from Seoul to Bangkok is considered the 2nd leg our 4 leg flight (2 to Chiang Mai and eventually 2 back to home), Korean Air did NOT cancel our return flights home.  Thanks to a very nice young Korean lady at the information booth who spent an hour on phone calls (at 12:30 a.m.!), she was able to help book these flights all at minimal costs.  I would have hopped over the desk and hugged her but I'm not sure of the local customs regarding personal space and whatnot.  And I am feeling a little stinky.  But in my mind, I hugged her.

One thing I have noticed here is that the employees are extremely nice and very patient.  There is a definite language barrier and I still can't help but feel like the ugly American.  But everyone has been so helpful and polite.  And I love hearing the 'No worries!' in their Korean accents.  We were able to borrow a voltage adapter too, in exchange for my drivers license. 

I am finally feeling connected and grounded again.

p.s. In case you haven't noticed, I am updating this blog  for now since I cannot seem to connect to my website.